The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort recognizes the paramount role we have as stewards of this beautiful and historic land. Our Pink is the New Green initiative fosters an environment in which our ambassadors and guests are encouraged to take pride in minimizing our carbon footprint and protecting the ocean, the indigenous plants and animals of Hawaii.
The Royal Hawaiian actively pursues energy, water and ocean conservation efforts including:
- Installing LED lighting in guest rooms
- Practicing elevator energy conservation in our Royal Ocean Tower
- Utilizing solar water heating in our Royal Ocean Tower
- Replacing ice-makers in historical building with more efficient appliances
- Encouraging guest participation in Green Program
- Educating guests on Ocean sustainability through partnership with Honu by the Sea, Waikiki Beach Services and the Waikiki Aquarium
- Practicing sustainable food and beverage sourcing such as our on-site herb garden and partnership with Pier 38
- Participating in invasive species clean-up at local beaches
- Establishing a Sustainability Committee to ensure green initiatives are actively and successfully pursued
- Raising proceeds to benefit local environmental organizations through our You Dine, We Donate program at Azure Restaurant Table #53
Our Pink is the New Green program supports Starwood's Global Citizenship Environmental Initiative 30/20 by 20, in which all owned, franchised and managed hotels must strive for 30% reduction in energy consumption and a 20% reduction in water consumption by 2020.